As one popular insurance company commercial tells us, “we know a thing or two, because we’ve seen a thing or two.” Well, as personal injury attorneys, that applies to Cheriff & Fink, P.C. as well. This is the time of year that we would include a blog post about the dangers potential clients encounter while dining out during the holiday season. In fact,over the last few years a rather surprising percentage of our personal injury cases involved a client who was injured during a trip and fall claim when they attempted to use the restroom while eating out.
This year most will not be dining out during the holidays. So we will take this opportunity to mention some ways to avoid becoming a client of Cheriff & Fink, P.C. this holiday season by practicing some simple safety tips around electrical cords.
1. Use extension cords with special care and sparingly. Overheated wires are know to start one in six home fires in the US.
2. Don’t try to mend fraying and/or damaged power cords, simply replace them. Homemade repairs is another common source of home fires.
3. Don’t run extension cords under rugs or near walkways. This has both the potential to start a fire and act as a tripping hazard.
4. Never EVER remove the third prong from a plug to make it fit a two prong outlet. THAT PRONG IS THERE FOR A REASON.
5. And, if you expect small children to be in your home this holiday season, be extra cautious and cover unused outlets.
Happy Holidays. And let’s all be safe out there so you don’t have to become a client this Holiday Season.